Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Movie Review: Percy Jackson and the Olympians

We went to see this movie because I had read the book and liked it. However, if you're in the same boat as me--just going because you liked the book--don't go. This movie doesn't follow the book at all. They use some of the same characters but change everything else. The storyline is different, major events are left out, and scenes are just created for the movie. I annoyed the crap out of Dustin by leaning over every two minutes to say, "That's not in the book." "That's not how that happened." "I can't believe they left that part out!" "She doesn't say that in the book." "Actually in the book...". Poor thing eventually told me that he would never take me to another movie based on a book I'd read if I didn't stop talking during the movie. But just as a movie, standing all on it's own, this was a pretty good movie. If I had never read the book and didn't notice all the changes, then I would have liked the movie. Dustin liked the movie just the way it was and he was the regular movie-goer audience. I would recommend this to anyone who just wants to go see a good movie with a good story, but not to all the avid book readers out there.